Previously, I made this video tutorial to make a giant rose step by step from printer paper, with FREE template.
And I just updated the picture tutorial to make giant roses from cardstock, with better vine leaves template.
It’s so easy, so simple yet beautiful. Why not DIY wedding or party decor?
- Select the paper for your giant paper rose
In the video, I used printer paper, but you can choose either printer paper or cardstock (from 120 to 300gsm).
The larger rose you make, the heavier paper you will need.
- Cut the petals from the free template.
You could use your Cricut to cut from SVG template or manually cut the PDF template by your scissors.
For bigger rose, please adjust the printer setting (on your computer) to print larger petal template or scale the size in your cutting machine software.
In the printer paper version, I cut 18 petals, 1 triangle, and 2 pentagons.
For the cardstock version, I cut 23 petals, 1 triangle, and 3 pentagons.
Color the petal if you want. In the video, I use watercolor for the orange flower and pastel chalk for the pink one, and I prefer the texture effect of watercolor.
If you use watercolor, consider drawing water first as it will help to blend your color easier.
You could also use a foam for acrylic/ non-dilute watercolor.
- Glue 3 petals with the triangle for the first layer.
Use a stick to curve the petal and form these 3 petals for the center of the giant rose.
- For the 2 outer petal layers, glue 5 petals with the pentagon and use a glue stick to make the petal’s curves.
Then glue each petal to the center accordingly.
- For the outer layer, cut and shape the petals and glue it to the flower.
- For the last layer, cut a line to divide the bottom of each petal.
Then glue it to form a curved petal before gluing to the flower base.
- Insert a string to the bottom of the bottom of the flower before covering by a large circle.
This string will help you to hang the giant rose to where you want.
- Leaves for giant rose
These giant roses are usually hung on a backdrop, and it could not be pretty without the paper leaves. Use a x-actor knife or cutting machine for these leaves templates.
For other free leaves templates, please click the link.
**** PIN ME ****
Tutorial to make giant rose from printer paper.
Tutorial to make giant rose from cardstock.
(Please do not share my templates directly. Please refer to my post to get it all free).